Bring Our Dialects to your school!
Through Our Dialects Outreach, undergraduate students pursuing degrees in English Language and Linguistics at the University of Manchester visit GCSE and A-level English Language classes in Greater Manchester. The university students lead pupils in interactive workshops on variation and change in English, including:
- Mini-lessons on sociolinguistics and dialect variation
- Explorations of the patterns and trends found in the maps on this website
- Educational games such as “pin the dialect on the map”
- Debates on language variation and standard language
- Hands-on lessons on the academic research process and discussions of university life
Pupil feedback on the workshops is extremely positive:
Please get in touch with us via the Contact page if you would like us to bring our dialect maps to your pupils!